What would Buddha say?

Bloomington, IL 61701
February 16, 2020

I have a funny story about this seemingly snippy gal at the Main Street Thrift Store yesterday. Ya see, two days ago I saw her taking pictures of new stuff that was being brought into the store from their van – which happens often. She had been snippy to me previously when I came in to see if they still had a guitar I wanted to buy, so I was a little snippy to her when I asked about the price on an old home-built bookcase. She said it was $79, and I said I wouldn’t pay more than $20 for it – so there – because I had built similar ones myself either by myself or with my Uncle Phil (I didn’t tell her that). Meanwhile I asked another guy working there how much these nice wooden Buddhas were - $12 apiece or $12 for the pair? He said the pair, so yesterday I stopped in because I saw a friend's Facebook post about Buddha, whom he likes, and figured I might get the pair and give him one for his help in finding a place to live back in May.

Well, here’s the Rest of the Story:

I went wild yesterday and bought a matched pair of wooden Buddhas at Main Street Thrift and I got a kick out of the goofy female college student who checked me out. First, though, she tried to charge me $12 apiece, but I said, “NO – the other guy said $12 for THE PAIR.” She said O.K., then she started wrapping up the Buddhas in newspaper – grocery ads – and she suddenly stopped and said, “Wow, is it right to wrap Buddha in the ads?” and she whipped out her phone and took a picture, saying, “That is some juxtaposition!” I said, “Yeah, he’s right next to the wine bottles!” It was a laugh, and then we talked about lucky numbers. I said mine was 1305, the price of the Buddhas with tax. She was impressed and said, “That’s your lucky number? What a coincidence!” I said, “It *became* my lucky number when I saw the total – that’s how my brother would  have done it!”

Then she said, "My lucky number is 12 - see here?" She shows me the 12 tattooed on her arm. I expressed wonderment and said, "That's a great number! That's three fours - extremely stable in the Native American sense - four seasons, four corners . . . "

"But what does it really *mean?* she whined. Says I, "That is only for you to find out, young one," and I vanished into the street with my Buddhas under my arm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't know what

Nazi State

Break Time at Conception